View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Dividing Dad's hand-crafted furniture online?

Here's the deal: Dad just turned 95 and currently lives alone. His house is filled with dozens of beautiful creations from his woodshop. His garage is jam-packed with saws and tools.

DH and I are probably going to build a house next door to his in the coming months (probably won't move in until approx. this time next year).

Dad and I agree that stuff with sentimental value needs to be divided equitably between kids and grandkids before the move. But, how to do it?

I might have just enough computer savvy to post pictures of the tables, curio cabinets and clocks online, if I knew where to do it. Then we could assign all 13 grandchildren some "Bonus Bucks" or "Grandpa Cash" and allow them to bid.

The other stumbling block is that most of the grandchildren live out of state, and one is out of the country, so they won't be able to swing by with a U-Haul and pick things up. Safely shipping a grandfather clock is not something I know how to do.

Is this is feasible? If you think so, please tell me:
  • Where to post the pictures.
  • How to accept bids.
  • How to ship w/o having to personally package things.

We live in a very rural town, so not every service is available here. We do have a UPS hub, but some items are probably too large for them to handle. I'd appreciate and helpful comments and suggestions.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote