Thread: applying
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Motors Mommy --

I applied online, the beginning of June. I printed off a copy of all my pages. Have a stack about 3" or 4" high.

While I was in the process of applying, I called SSA with a question, and they set up a phone interview. June 13. Phone interviews are easier, if you've already completed application.

I took a lot of time and effort to complete application with a lot of detail. Talked to my doctors, and requested that, in addition to medical records dept. sending notes from medical charts, that they write a letter for me, in support of disability approval. Three doctors wrote letters. Wrote things like I am "totally and permantently disabled. Do not attempt rehabilitation." And, something about me not being able to maintain "substantial and gainful employment". Two doctors wrote short letters. 1 or 2 paragraphs. My psychologist wrote a 2 page letter, chronicalling how my MS has affected my employment over the past 6 1/2 yrs.

Filled out a long form about my daily activities. My husband also filled out smilar form that was sent to him.

Have called Disability Determination Services (DDS) several times to be sure that they have received the information requested from doctors. I found out that they just sent the requests to the medical records departments, not the doctors, so I called doctors offices to let them know the DDS request for information had been made, so that they could send additional letter.

First approval or denial is supposed to take 3-5 months. Talked with DDS on phone today. They told me that a determination may be made next week, as they have all of the requested information, and it is now being looked at by their medical people. They might have to request visit to their doctor, but they do not think that will be likely.

Most applications are denied first time around, but some are approved. I am hopeful that my doctors support, and my employment history (have lost 3 jobs since 2002, due to excessive absences during flares) will help me to be approved.

If I am not approved, I will consider whether to retain an attorney for my first appeal, or to wait until appeal is denied, and my case goes to court.

Best wishes, Motors Mommy.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote