15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart

Longtime Bessemer city judge Jackie McDougal dies at age 68
Friday, August 15, 2008
ROBERT K. GORDON
News staff writer
Longtime Bessemer city Judge Jackie McDougal died Thursday after a bout with Lou Gehrig's disease.

Mr. McDougal was 68. He recently left the bench and shut down his law practice as a result of his illness.

Mr. McDougal had been a municipal judge for 33 years. His friends held a retirement ceremony for him last week at the Bessemer Civic Center.

"He was straight as an arrow," Bessemer Circuit Clerk Earl Carter said. "He treated everybody the same. Everybody knew Judge McDougal would treat everyone the same. I never heard a negative thing about him."

Mr. McDougal, who started practicing law in 1969, did work for a time after being diagnosed with the disease and made his way around the courthouse in a motorized wheelchair.

He made an unsuccessful run for circuit judge in 1998.

"He had a unique way of dealing with people," said Circuit Judge Mac Parsons, who won that 1998 election. "He empathized with people. Whenever someone was before him, he spoke in a soft, low voice. That was a sign of respect for the person. He impressed me."

Lawyer Ralph "Buddy" Armstrong was a high school classmate of Mr. McDougal's.

"I've practiced law in front of Jackie ever since he's been on the bench," Armstrong said. "I never left his court thinking that my client hadn't been treated fairly."

Viewing will be today from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at Peoples Chapel Funeral Home. A graveside service will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. at Cedar Hill Cemetery.

E-mail: rgordon@bhamnews.com

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote