View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up WATA group!

WATA - aka We Are The Answer!

I'm not seriously suggesting this acronym, but hope it did get your attention. I've been following the Part I but haven't closely scrutinized every post. Should I read every single reply? (sometimes it got really off course).

I like it that aj mentioned "hope," and I'd like to add to that comment. I flaunt that word around far too loosely. For example, I HOPE the doctor has something good to say, I HOPE we find a cure, or I HOPE we can do this project. Do you see how weak that sounds?

One of the first things I learned in my teacher training is "Expectations are followed by action" - if you expect something or somebody to fail - that's what you get. Our logo/legend in one school system I taught in was "Expect the Best." We should add to that "Accept no less!" I say all of this to relate to you that we have to be stronger than HOPE - and we have to portray that if we want everyone to jump on on the bandwagon. I love Nike's motto ' "Just do it!" Not only should we "Just do it," but we should remember that WATA (WE ARE THE ANSWER. Am I making sense?

I liek what you've started, Carey, as far as mission. But a very integral part has been omitted - Networking. That's what this group of advocates is famous (sometimes infamous) for - we get around. (Greg - you said that to me recently and it stuck.) You might say that networkingn is covered under "advocacy," but it needs a more prominent place of importance.

Here's what you started:

Encourage patient involvement/advocacy
Collect and disseminate information of particular importance, scientific and otherwise
Canvas opinion on issues
Petition on behalf of PD patients, and
Issue Press Releases on topics of concern to PWP

We do this through NETWORKING and the operation of a website that collects information for several databases and acts as a platform for the promotion of patient-driven projects worldwide.

I hope (awwkk!) I mean I know/expectyou will understand what I am saying. By dropping the "hope" word, I believe we shall conquer - i.e. we will stand apart from other advocacy groups. We will use words such as:
DEMAND - TRUST - DISAGREE - AGREE - ACCEPT - REJECT and similar jargon.

Now let's put some action (oh there's another - ACTION) to our mission and goals.

How about a title something like: People With Parkinson's ACTION Coalition?

Peg

Last edited by pegleg; 08-15-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Adding a thought
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote