View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Heya Debbie

Personally ketamine is the best drug I have ever tried for helpiing with RSD. (and I mean I have tried fentanyl, MST contin, methadone, benzodiazipines, tranqs, oxycontin etc, calcium channel blockers, anti spazmodics, anti epileptics.... the list continues!!!).

I find it reduces the alloydinia - it's still there but not nearlly as bad - i couldnt stand things touching my arms/ legs etc and couldnt stand the vibration from a car/ wheelchair etc without flaring. It has improved my sleep pattern alot (eg... I can now actually lie on a bed.. before I had to sleep sitting up because I couldn't stand my legs or arms touching the bed). Things that would have had me screaming in pain are now possible... It has also helped the burning pain that you get with RSD - and I have also notices (through experimentation) that it does make a humongous difference - I came off it for a couple of days to see how much it was helping (prob with rSD is that no matter what you take you always seem to feel like you are in so much pain you can't deal with it) and I really noticed how much more pain I was in when i wasn't taking it.

I have it as an oral solution so can use it as a Break through med and its also really good because you can take it 20 mins before being dressed/ transferred and it means you don't start the day in major agony before you have even got out of bed. However, I have found that I have to take my other tablets with the ketamine to maximise it's effect (esp paracetemol/ DF118s)

Also, I get no side effects, other than a few visual problems when I started it (but could be RSD anyway).

are the capsules slow release? I get my oral stuff made up in a lab a couple of hours away from me - and I don't have to pay for it cos I'm from the UK so it is covered by the NHS. It is VERY difficult getting permission to go on ketamine in the UK there are only about 2 or 3 drs that will use it for RSD, so I guess I was lucky!

I really think you should go for it and give it a try... maybe start on 5mg and see what happens? (preferably the beginning of the weekend so if you feel rubbish thats ok).

until my arms got really really bad about 8 months ago I was allowed to drive whilst taking the ketamine (i think i didn't drive for about 4 days after starting it to see how it affected me!)

Good luck and any other qs - just ask!!

love

Rosie xxxx