View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

As usual Cherie, you made this perfectly clear, if I do go back with NO promises of anything I should NOT get paid because I am already getting paid through STD from their insurance company.

I think I can only do very little for them at the moment, that is all I can handle........

They are viewing this as an MS relapse with new lesions on my spine causing this, that is what they are telling me at least. I would not want to jepordize things by stressing out and getting worse so I will NOT do that and go VERY slowly on the consulting......

Thanks again Cherie and thanks Sally also!

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
You do want to tread very carefully, as you really don't know the long-term repercussions of this attack yet. As Sally suggested, you are very wise not to jump or commit to anything, without understanding the consequences of those actions.

I'm assuming they are still viewing this as a transverse myelitis attack, and not MS . . .?

Joe, if you have a Human Resources Manager at your job, you should talk to him/her first.

In my experience (and I used to be a HR Manager in Canada) I do NOT think they have any obligation to pay you extra money while ALREADY collecting your wages through STD. You are getting paid to STAY HOME and get better . . . at least until you are ready to start phasing back to work.

If they want you to work, and you feel ready to TRY a little here and there, then just go back to work for X hrs per week, with NO extra wages. This is called a "back-to-work" program, and is the way that most of us get back into the swing of things.

For example, let's say you work for XYZ company, and they are paying you STD because your doctor authorizes that you are sick. If ABC company comes along and says, "we want to pay you to consult", then the STD company for XYZ company would say "NO, if you can work, you should be phasing back into your regular job". Obviously their goal is to stop paying you STD eventually, so you should not be using any energy you have to work at "another" job (PLUS be getting paid by the STD company for your "regular" job).

It's the same thing if you are wanting to consult for the same company (that you usually work for). You should not be getting extra wages, over and above STD.

(This changes when you move to LTD, if you do).

If you want to help the company out, and feel you might be able to in some limited way, just tell them you will do what you can, when you can, but will ONLY collect STD while you do that (NO extra wages).

Hope that makes sense.

I think you need to move very slowly, Joe. You are obviously a very talented and valuable employee, or they wouldn't be clammering at your door to get you back. They need you, but they need the "Joe" they know and love. If that Joe can only give 10% of his usual self, you need to be very, very clear about that. Once you are back in the real world, they tend to forget about any limitations we feel/have cause we "look so good".

Cherie
Dxd RRMS 12/23,06, Copaxone 2/07 to 9/07 - Rebif 10/07 to 7/08, BAD flare with Transverse Myelitis & Pancreatitis.....,9/08 Pseudo Cyst!!!! and another TM attack. Started Tysabri 9/22/08 - 10/21 Allergic reaction to Tysabri, SSDI Approved 11/14!! Continued Ty 11/17 with a Pre-medicate. Solumedral 12/11-12/13 Ty #5 Jan 12th!
JoeMac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote