Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
Is she taking anything else, say something for the stomach?
Like Tagamet or Pepcid? H2 antagonists can cause hallucinations in the
elderly (they are thought to cross the blood brain barrier in this group).
You might be focusing on the 3 newest drugs and ignoring the contribution
of a seemingly innocent drug-- and these are now over the counter...and can interact with other medications.
wow, mrsD that is VERY interesting
My MIL (87yo) was on Zantac and then Tagamet for a while, as well as some pretty strong pain med ........and we have been very concerned that she may have been showing signs of senile dementia

anyway, recently the doc took her off the H2 antagonists and put her on Prilosec( which is a proton pump inhibitor....right??).......and the strange behaviour and hallucinatory issues that she has been complaining of for some time now seem to have stopped!

Also, before we got the Crohn's dx for my son, one of the docs had him on tagamet, as they suspected he had an ulcer. Well, my son was having some very strange hallucinations just before falling asleep.......to the point that it was really worrying him and us. His OCD behavior also flared up.

Since getting the crohn's dx he no longer uses any tagamet and only occasional prevacid when in flare up...............and he hasnt had any hallucinatory probs for ages.....now, when I think about it....not since stopping the tagamet!

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote