View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 02:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Muffins are the easiest things make GF, IMO. Here's a recipe I converted from a gluten recipe. If you leave out the xanthum gum it will be completely corn free.

Pear and Pecan Muffins

1 C tapioca flour
1/2 C sorghum flour
1/2 C sweet rice flour (regular rice flour will work, too)
1 tsp xanthum gum (I really think it will work without this if you are sensitive)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 c milk substitute
1/4 c oil
1 med pear peeled and diced
1 c chopped pecans
cinnamon & sugar mixture to sprinkle on top

Stir 1st four ingredients in a lg bowl. Make a well in the center. In small bowl beat egg with fork. Stir in milk & oil. Pour egg mixture into well. Mix quickly & lightly with a fork until moistened; do not beat. Add pears and pecans. Sprinkle at little cinnamon sugar in batter. Pour into muffin tins and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Bake at 400 for 20-25min. Makes 12 muffins. I prefer them as mini muffins in which case you want to cook for about 15 minutes.

I like them warm. They're also good warmed in the toaster oven with a little butter on them.

You can sub all sorts of fruit for the pear and leave out the spices, too, if you prefer.

I haven't ground any flours yet either. I keep thinking I'm going to buy the grinder bowl for my Vitamix but I haven't yet. Maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas. :-)

Editing to add that the nuts can easily be left out of this recipe. Sorry I missed that.

Rachel

Last edited by rachelb; 11-05-2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: ooops I missed the nut part
rachelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote