View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 03:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Claire,

I know there are special flour grinding mills you can buy, and some blenders (like Vita Mix) are supposed to be able to grind flour from the grain. My newest kitchen tool is a juicer which advertises that it can grind flours - haven't tried it yet though. I think we were having trouble with contaminated gf flours too.

This muffin recipe isn't perfected yet, so I haven't posted it in Baking Without Flour; its one where I've replaced the flour with cooked rice. I haven't figured out how long to cook it so its not doughy in the middle, so I've cooked it, taken it out, tried it, put it back. But they taste good! I think it would work better as cookies since the problem is getting them done in the middle. I thought I'd go ahead and post it in case you like to experiment. Obviously, you can ignore the nuts.

No Flour Pumpkin Muffins/Cookies (recipe in progress)

Free of gluten, corn, dairy, eggs, sugar, soy, flour

Wet Ingredients
1 15oz can Pumpkin puree (sub sweet potato or other squash puree to 1 3/4 c.)
¼ c. Maple Syrup (sub agave, honey)
¼ c. Oil (coconut, sunflower, safflower, canola)

Dry Ingredients
2 c. cooked brown rice
2 T. Cinnamon
1 T Baking powder
½ tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

So far I have only tried these as muffins. I cooked them at 375 (I think) for 45 minutes, then let them stay in hot (but off) oven for 15 more minutes, and they were still uncooked in the middle. I think I cooked them 10 or 15 more minutes after that, and after they had cooled, they held together ok. Originally the recipe called for nutmeg, cloves, garlic, but I took them out on my last attempt. Like I said, its still a work in progress! I think a cookie would cook through better; I’ll have to experiment with that next.
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote