View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default shake it or lose it

Several things come to mind-

I only know of two professional dancers with PD. One is an old man whose name I forget but who is a tap dance instructor in New York and who has been dancing with PD for many years. The other is our own Fiona ("the dancer formerly known as Rao") whom I believe is still going ten years or so post-dx.

Does anyone else know of any full time dancers with PD? If there is a lower percentage than engineers, for example, then it may mean that dancing prevents or repairs the damage of PD.

There is also the story from a couple of weeks ago that a researcher had found that in a mouse PD model that a large group of neurons were firing simultaneously rather than "randomly". Think of one of those electronic lighted marquees made up of thousands of individual lights. If they are all firing at the same time you have only a brightly lighted board. It is only when they fire individually that you can know that "Wayne Newton" is appearing.

The same thing applies to our brain. When it all lights up or when none of it does, nothing happens. It is only when asynchronous firing is present that things happen. Music entrains our brain and alters our functional capacity by pushing aside the rigid wave patterns and introducing fluctuations which can convey information - whether it be "Wayne" or "walk".
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote