View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, indeed they put another vas cath in. This one is going to stay this time. the surgeons were not real happy that neuro had pulled it before we left last time. So this time it stays, at least for a few months to make sure he isn't gonna need it. He had something a little different this time. When he came outta surgery for the vas cath, the renal docs wanted to immediately begin his pheresis, so they left him intubated and sent him straight to PICU to do his first pheresis. Dallas was not happy at all waking up with that tube in. It took about 3 hours and then they pulled the tube. He was one honked off little man! He even attempted to pull the tube out himself. I don't blame him. Anyway, he has had 2 treatments now and has 3 more this week. Already feeling a lot stronger than before! Pheresis just does such great things for him. I wish you had the same results. He feels like conquering the world when it is all over! Anyway, 5 more days here and hopefully we will go home after that. The docs are sure that his thyroid was the culprit for his exacerbation this time. We didn't realize, but when he was being pheresed before it was completely wiping his synthroid (thyroid pill) out of his body. So by the time we got home, he had not thyroid left and went completely hypothyroid and that caused an exacerbation of his myasthenia. How crazy, so now he receives a massive thyroid dose and we wait until after he is pheresed in the day to give it to him. Oh well, you live and learn. What's important is we now know and he is feeling better. Talk to you soon...Heidi
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinhermes View Post
Hey there! So they are going to do a vascular cath? Is that the one in his neck? Or is that the chest port? They are thinking about putting a permanent port (my hematologist at least) in my arm - that way they can do my IV IG or plasmaphoresis every 3 weeks (if need be - at least until I'm in remission........ ) I would much rather have a port in my arm any day, but that is simply b/c of my intense fear of needles.....I'm actually thinking about going to a therapist abou that - cuz' it has gotten so bad and EVERYTIME I go to the hospital (which is a lot) I end up being a human pin cushion ............Feeling kind of rough right now, so I'll let you go for now! Take care!
Erin]
HiHo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote