Old 08-18-2008, 12:46 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart yes - dear ones

I know that crawling is gettiing old for me too - but when I can -
I have amazing good energy still...

Howard sent me a story about a doctor that was dxd w/ PD!
this is from NWPD org
http://www.nwpf.org/News.aspx?Item=2427

there is an excerpt there...

Life in the Balance. by Dr Thomas B Grayboys. MD
Life in the Balance: A Physician’s Memoir of Life, Love and Loss with Parkinson’s Disease and Dementia

Northwest Parinson's Foundation - The heartfelt account of Thomas B. Graboys, MD, Life in the Balance: A Physician’s Memoir of Life, Love and Loss with Parkinson’s Disease (Union Square Press) is brutally honest and direct. This poignant and unflinching memoir follows Dr. Graboys, a nationally renowned Boston cardiologist, as he leads us through his beautifully told narrative of his daily battle with Parkinson’s and Lewy Body disease.

At the age of 49, Dr. Graboys had reached the pinnacle of his career and was leading a charmed life. Popular for his attention to the hearts and souls of his patients, Graboys was part of the "The Cardiology Dream Team" summoned to treat Boston Celtics star Reggie Lewis after he collapsed on the court in 1993. He had a beautiful wife, two wonderful daughters, and positions on both the faculty of Harvard Medical School and the staff of Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and a thriving private practice.

Today, Dr. Graboys can no longer see patients or give rounds. He is stooped, and shuffles when he walks, the gait of a man much older than his 63 years, as he battles a particularly aggressive form of Parkinson’s disease and progressive dementia. And, although he is now remarried to a lovely woman, he lost the mother of his children to cancer in 1998. Despite the physical, mental and emotional toll he battles daily, his story is a testament to the fact that he is still a healer. More than just a personal account, Life in the Balance is another avenue for him to continue his life-long mission of caring for the world one human being at a time, by telling his story so that others may find comfort, inspiration, or validation in their own struggles.

According to Rabbi Harold Kushner, author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People, Dr. Tom Graboys’ Life in the Balance is "Beautifully written, searingly honest, [a book that] lets us see the impact of serious illness on a man who is both a doctor and a patient."

and ABC has a longer interview -
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/Sto...5237946&page=4

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rosebud (08-18-2008)