View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
this is the virus that wiped out hubby's computer at the club. he clicked on a pop up that said he wand a windows virus. blah blah...long story, but he had to have the hard drive wiped clean.

they backed up all the files he told them were important, but after hey checked them, they don't him not to use them. it was a good thing for daily work documents, we had paper files.

good luck melody.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my god, what a nightmare. WE don't have any thing important to back up. But who the heck wants to wipe out a hard drive and re-install everything? I know I don't.

When I saw that nasty little bugger was back I said "oh no".

But (and this is different than what happened last week), I was able to get on the internet and hook up with the Verizon Tech person.

She ran my anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and it seemed to get it all. It found the antivirxp08 and deleted it.

Then she rebooted my computer and

BAM, THERE IT WAS AGAIN.

It would not let me do the remove thing from the control panel. It has a built in blocker that said it was from Microsoft. Good God!!

And luckily, Verizon called me back at 11:20 p.m and told me 'I've opened up a ticket at Radial Point (she explained that this is Internet Security Suite's SUPREME tech person. And that they would be calling me back later that night.

I said "I don't think so, I'm going to bed". So they called me 10:00 am.this morning.

What a nice guy.

He installed some experimental SUPER ANTISPYWARE THINGEE, and he explained that last week we got rid of most of the files, but that it hides and installs itself in some root file. We never got the root file.

This morning, the guy was going into my config system, and he deleted a file, then the super spyware thing deleted EVERYTHING RELATED TO TROJANS, Antivirxp08, etc. etc.

That did it.

He told me to run this software once a week (disabling my Internet Security Suite), and once I'm finished, disabling it again.

So let me get this straight.

I can go and get a magazine with a Linux CD on it? And if I have to wipe out (re-format), my hard drive, I can install Linux instead of Windows XP.

I don't have any windows disc because this was a bundle thing.

And let me ask two more questions.

If I get a laptop, buy a router, connect the whole thing.... and this thing comes back on my computer, DOES THIS MEAN IT WILL INFECT MY LAPTOP?

How can I make sure this won't happen.

And how come (after last week), every time I want to come on these boards I have to type in my user ID and passwords. I tried clicking on "remember", but it always prompts me.

Does this have something to do with the anti-spam thingee??

thanks guys.

Missed you.

And I hope I'm here to stay.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote