Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My 11 year old son is bipolar; and we rode the rollercoaster ride for a LOOOONG time. One thing to keep in mind is that there is no "1 size fits all" pill. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to play the medication hokey pokey dance until you find the right med for her. Have you contacted the prescribing doctor and informed him that the medication is no longer working? My son was on zyprexa for 3 and a half years and stable but we had to play with the dose ALL the time. It got to the point his doctor just allowed me to tweak the dose based on what we were seeing because different "cycles" required different doses. Perhaps that could be the reason it doesnt seem to be having the same effect as before.

To date, my son cannot wear certain types of socks, fabrics, and always has a pair of ear plugs in his pocket to use when any noise starts to bother him. He is doing wonderful - but it has taken a lot of time for us to figure out what sets him off and different ways to avoid it. It takes time.

I would recommend purchasing (or checking out at the local library) a book titled "The Bipolar Child". (aka the bipolar child's bible) Rest assured you will drop your jaw by chapter 2 because it will feel like the author has hidden camera's in your house and used your life to write the book. It is OUTSTANDING! Also, please check out the site www.bpkids.org . This is a wonderful resource and online community for the caretakers of a bipolar child.

I head a local non profit that offers advocacy and services to children with mental health issues; as well as to their family. If you are comfortable giving me your city/state information I would be happy to look up local resources for your area.

Welcome to the board!
Bobi