View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Vertigo / Nystagmus

I had the most horrific vertigo experience yesterday. I was so close to going to the ER and I still don't feel quite right. Those who know me well know that I vowed to never consciously, willingly enter an ER again after a bad experience, so that is how sick and desperate I felt.

I was working on the computer and my eyes started to feel weird - like back in 2004 when I had nystagmus. The next thing I knew, I had vertigo so bad that I wasn't sure if I was going to puke or fall over or both. I was so sick and it was so sudden. I literally had to lay down on the floor at work for awhile. I couldn't even sit up because I was spinning. Luckily I was alone at the office.

So, picture me laying on the floor of my office panicked. I laid there and called DH from my cell phone and had him bring me some meclizine. That seemed to calm it down, but I still didn't feel right and I still don't.

This was truly one of the scariest experiences of my life. I have never felt so out of control. I am so grateful that the meclizine helped, but it scared me. I really think it was a combination of my eyes and the CRT computer monitor plus I work under fluorescent lights.

So, should I call the opthalmologist? He was the first one to identify the torsional nystagmus in 2004. I haven't been to see him in probably 3 years - maybe it is time? I am having such an issue going to doctors lately. I just can't seem to get up the nerve to get back on the roller coaster.

Take me back to days full of monkeyshines
Bouncin' on a bubble full of trouble in the summer sun
Keep your raft from the riverboat
Fiction over fact always has my vote
And wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...

Jimmy Buffett from "Barefoot Children in the Rain"

hollym is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Gazelle (08-20-2008), Kitty (08-19-2008), Twinkletoes (08-19-2008)