View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Faith, as a non-parent, I have never replaced my memories of teen/young adulthood. All parents get dumber and more ignorant than anyone on earth for a period of young life. Deep inside, she knows she respects you, loves you, and secretly admires you and dad.

When she turns about 25, the two of you will have a miraculous infusion of intelligence, wisdom, personality, and senses of humor. Right now, you both are utterly devoid of all those.

A month into her mission, she will think about you both often, miss you, but be too proud and "adult" to admit it to anyone but her closest allies (all of whom will be forgotten by age 30).

One day, she will need advice on "grown-up" things and give you two a chance to prove yourselves. Hence, the great awakening.

My advice is to let her do what she wants without making her feel guilty or as if she has to withhold information. Start stocking her up on things that will make her mission more comfortable and enjoyable. Starbucks cards, some great workboots, her own hammer holster, a couple pairs of Carhart workshorts/pants, etc.

Leave the personal stuff alone, she doesn't even understand it herself.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Foggy Brain (08-19-2008), hollym (08-20-2008), Jules A (08-19-2008), weegot5kiz (08-19-2008), who moi (08-20-2008)