View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 11:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbean View Post
The reason I know it is a gluten reaction is because it is unlike any other illness. When she gets gluten, she appears healthy, she'll be sitting there at our table, coloring or playing and she suddenly, without any warning at all, loses all bowel control and large amounts of liquid diarrhea come out. She is not otherwise "sick", and she doesn't even know what is happening, her body just relinquishes control of her bowels and she gets bad diarrhea.
So, once she clears her bowels, how is she afterwards? Is everything fine afterwards, or does she seem to have lingering symptoms? And the reason I ask... I picked up Tom early from school on Friday to take him to a vision evaluation as part of his upcoming triennial review. He seemed fine, and his teacher did not mention anything unusual when I picked him up. (We've had enough times when she has mentioned out of the ordinary behavior.) In the car, I realized he seemed... uncomfortable. When we got home, he got out of the car and stood there, ackwardly. I asked if he needed to be cleaned up, and he said yes. Afterwards, we started to his appointment. He didn't want to move, so I carried him. I told the evaluator that I wasn't sure how the appointment was going to go. I wondered if he had a stomach ache. I left him there and sat on the playground. They came out a little while later and she said she could hear his stomach. I took him to the bathroom, and there was diarrhea. So, I cleaned him up, and we went to wait for his sisters to get out of school. While holding him, I heard the ugly rumblings, and we went back to the bathroom. A ton of diarrhea. I managed to clean him up, and I got all of us back to the hotel as fast as I could. After a bath, he seemed fine. I actually had chicken broth, so I gave him some of that. But, he was hungry for supper and ate a lot of hamburgers. His stomach seemed fine. No other problems.

Anyway, I thought of your comments about out of the blue loss of bowel control. Somehow, based on his behaviour (and stomach) afterwards, I'm thinking it might have been gluten related? As opposed to a stomach bug. His fingernails were dirty, and I'm thinking Playdough? I asked if he played with it, and he said yes, but I'm not always sure when I ask leading questions with him. If he told me he played with Playdough, and I hadn't mentioned it, then I would have believed him. But, since I brought it up first... I don't know for sure. And, I'm not sure how he reacts to glutening, as we've not intentionally given him any, and I don't know of when he's had any. (And, yes, I need to buy some GF playdough for his school.) Anyway, I'm curious about your daughter's reaction, and if there's any more to it.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote