View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Starting off with a new doctor is kind of ....

like learning an intricate dance with a stranger. There has to be a bit of trust to start off with, but it also involves some timing as to who should take the 'lead' and when.
First off, here is a web site about what neuros look for when they start out with a new patient: http://www.neuroexam.com/content.php?p=2
As you can see the whole diagnostic process is one of elimination of a slew of different and overlapping medical issues.
Don't assault this doc with your lists and past tests at first. Just let HIM/HER outline what they have found and then ask if these histories could be useful...... Many docs pride themselves on their OWN abilities to diagnose and further if another doc [whom they may despise] has concluded something they disagree with? Well, you may be stuck with a 'seeker' label or worse. As for many neuro-type tests? Most docs don't trust testing done by other docs, unless they are at premier facilities that have impeccable credentials. So go along with getting new tests if it's feasable. If not, see if some sort of discount or plan can be worked out -at times it can be-doesn't hurt to ask.
My comments to my own docs usually go along the lines of "I've read from the NIH, Mayo and Hopkins about that" or, "I wonder IF this[or that] has anything to do with this all?" and such comments...that way it's always a question and not a challenge to them. Thing is to get them curious about you and that they know you aren't a doormat! [BTW? Do NOT start out that you learned it from here? WHY? because many docs discount us all as quacks or the like....use the most legitimate and credible sources and get that doc reading up if needed-Tho some folks, like DarlinDeb did get a read from a doc in her area from this site! It's a very rare occurance and she got very lucky]
Simplest statements are often the best? I HURT! I'm scared that I'm getting worse and while I realize this won't go away overnite? I'd really like some relief! Can we work on this somehow? Then work on the details of the 'dancing'. Do NOT allow yourself to be 'shrugged off'. Be so disgustingly nice and smart that this doc will want to work for/with you! Sell yourself, essentially. That some 'things' are off? Call him/her on these issues...Borderline can be a clue to things more serious lurking in the background...something to check out for sure?
It's good you will have an extra pair of ears with you. The old doc 'trust me' line doesn't work much anymore, and while neuro stuff is quite complex, those extra ears will help you get all that's going/gone on during a visit.
I will be hoping and more that this time you hit GOLD! Be patient and persistent. I look forward to hearing from you soon. - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
brandtryan (08-20-2008), dizzie lizzy (08-20-2008), lynxgal (08-20-2008), Silverlady (08-20-2008)