Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

purple pal,

I can completely relate to what you said about medications being like discovering color TV!

I felt that way the first time I was given anxiety meds for my panic attacks. I have had anxiety and panic since age 4, but it wasn't until I was in my early 20's when the anxiety was finally diagnosed and treated - and it was completely life changing to have a way to stop an impending panic attack.

I felt the same way when my ADD was treated too - which was essentially an accident. My psychaitrist was very reluctant to let me try any ADD meds because he was worried that they would cause an increase in my anxiety.

Then because of my physical medical stuff, I was having horrible fatigue and so my primary care doctor prescribed Provigil for me, and it helped the fatigue a lot and it also helped the ADD quite a bit -- again a life changing moment all due to finally getting a medication that worked very well.

I have also heard the horror stories about couples who both have ADD, but for my husband and I, I really think it's a benefit and not a risk/problem. We understand each other, we help each other, we are better able to work together, and when one of us is having a major ADD moment the other doesn't get frustrated/angry/upset because we each understand what it's like to be in the other persons shoes.

So I personally think that it helps us to be closer and more in synch with each other.

Liz