View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I love Michigan! My sister and family were stationed at KI Sawyer for a few years and I went to visit in the fall. It was gorgeous!

It is pronounced "q mmm". Be sure to specifically ask for both his regular folder and his IEP related folder. And take your time going through it. You can ask the admin. assistant to make you any copies that you would like for your records; AND you are allowed to make notes reguarding any of the information you find in the teachers notes that will be kept in his folder forever. (I found one when my son was in 2nd grade that noted the teachers feelings on his classroom behavior...something like "his mother is overly involved and the child feels that he can get away with acting out because his mom will makes excuses." I put a note in there stating that without seeing her medical license as well as her chart of her medical research reguarding my son, her uneducated diagnosis of the situation was illegial. (Of course I made a copy) The district then made a notation stating that the teachers opinion was incorrect based on testing from my son's medical team. (Of course I had to specifically put this in writing and mail it to them that I wanted it done.)

You ABSOLUTELY want the therapist there; as well as ANYONE on his support team that is willing. (doctor, former teacher, counciler...) You also want a letter from anyone willing to write you one reguardless if they are in attendance at the IEP meeting. I would also go in asap and go through his folders. This way you can bring up any points that supports his needing alternative placement. (i.e. 5 teachers have said that he is unable/unwilling to function in my class; his mental state is such that he cannot complete the work...) ANYTHING that will help make your arguement; even if that is not the reason for the notes.

You'll be an old pro at this by the end of the year. (This is good because the yearly battle wont entirely end until he finishes school.) You are doing great!
"Thanks for this!" says:
houghchrst (08-21-2008)