View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've not used Recuva.

The ones I'm most familiar with using are: Ontrack, Pareto, Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery, and PC Inspector File Recovery.

This is my first time doing data recovery on VISTA O/S, so that in itself is making it a learn-as-I-go experience. I know that I've got one shot to do a clean recovery without making it a tedius process.

For the first time, since owning a computer, I didn't have the data on mine backed up; I was still installing software upgrades compatible with VISTA - and had nearly $1000 invested .

The manufacturer's supervisor I spoke with today totally understood when I told her why mine was not, yet, backed up: I went weeks with malfunctioning laser precision mouse(s)/mice, which were continually "backordered," and that went on for 3 months.

The machine, which was a Christmas present, was the first time I had ever received a computer that did not also have the O/S, drivers and apps. discs included.

I've not had experience with a computer crashing so "young." Nor had I ever had one that came with paperwork which was insistent - big bold print - that it was not necessary to make recovery or backup discs.

All of it was a misnomer. I suggested that the manufacturer pull the misleading information from its packaging, which is rather prominently placed.

Last night, a lower-level person at the manufacturer I spoke with also tried to tell me that my laptop could not be serviced in-home, and that only desktops are covered. Phooey. What a load. The rationale that was cited to me is that it only takes a few scews being removed to be into the hardware on a desktop. Sorry... there are fewer scews on my laptop than there are on my desktop and two panels that need popping. I gave doing it a test-run last night and took me less than 5 mins. to be in the hardware of the laptop.

That excuse for not providing service flew out the window.

No matter what they tried telling me, I was holding them to their warranty.

As anyone who has also purchased DME also knows: A product is only as good as its warranty and the manufacturer's ability to perform under the warranty. It's like giving one's word or promise, and I have every reasonable expectation of holding them to it. If they refuse, there are always other remedies .

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (08-22-2008), who moi (08-21-2008)