View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello to Everyone!

My name is Brandt--I noticed this forum when checking out the site for peripheral neuropathy, which I am currently suffering from. I posted a Tourette's memoir in the "Creative Corner" area--and some suggested I post it here as well--I didn't realize there was also a Tourette's forum. This site is great for me--covers the Tourettes and the Neuropathy!

I hope to learn a lot about my neuropathy and tourette's in these informative forums--and although I came primarily for the neuropathy--I've recently had a spike in my tourette's, which is pretty bad at times--and I'm 36 years old. I thought I was rid of it in my 20's--when I nearly forgot about it. I went five years without a single tic--

It was especially interesting to see how the treatments and understanding of the syndrome has progressed over the years. When I was 10 years old (1981), there was very little understanding of the syndrome--though there was the TSA, as we got the newsletters every so often. Wow--this was pre-internet--had to wait for information to come in the mail!! I was prescribed Haldol--but that didn't work well--as I mostly slept all day. My parents made it my choice whether to take it or not (in retrospect--that was really cool) and I decided against it--and to just keep ticcing.

25 years later and there is a lot more information, web-sites, more drugs, and perhaps a better understanding--though it seems much of it is still quite mysterious. I was particularly interested in the relationship between Tourette's and OCD. I always suspected this, as my tourette's manifests itself as being obsessed with a certain tic, and having to repeat until I get it "just right"--which of course, never happens.

Oh well--this post is getting longer than I intended. Just wanted to say hi to everyone--and look forward to reading threads in the future.
brandtryan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
who moi (09-28-2008)