View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm rushing at the moment for an apt. and will check back to more completely read what you have posted.
Your topic is greatly on my mind at the moment. I think there is a big interest right now re: alternative methods to treating all illness and perhaps particularly mental illness.
I do think that certain illnesses are so debilitating that it is probably faulty to think that we can walk away from prescription medications, AND I think we need to be grateful that they are available to us. However, I think the U.S. in particular, tends to overrely on their use and does not explore alternatives in combination with prescription medications (or in some cases instead of).
I have become excited aboiut the topic because I have had bouts of mild depression and fatigue over the years, and this has greatly improved for me by taking various supplements...particularly the B vitamins in combination with exercise. IN addition, my need for high blood pressure medication was reduced 4x when I changed my diet, lost weight and exercised. That is significant less money for medication and also less change of side effects. I will have to take this tiny dosage of blood pressure medication for the rest of my life, but I am fine with this small dosage and feel I am much better off now, etc.
I do not think folks with illnesses such as bipolar illness, etc. are likely to elminate their need for medication, however I do think it is possible that they might be able to reduce their dosages (with the approval and guidance of their doctors, etc.) by taking supplements and exploring natural alternatives.
It is scarey for doctors 'cause they have to rely on their patients to stick to the healthy routine, be honest about it and be willing to get back to the doctor if something goes wrong. It requires lots of patience, observation, etc.
It's not easy...but really worth it in the end. In addition, there is always a small chance that someone will have the grandiose idea that they don't need their medication and cause heartache for themselves and family. The idea is more to see if the medication can be reduced to keep the side effects of traditional medications down.
Thank you for bringing up this topic...I do think it is an important one. Also...very glad to hear that you are getting good results with alternative medicine.

Last edited by Vowel Lady; 08-22-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote