View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplaura View Post
Thanks Cherie! Great info, but I wanted to ask about this one. You mention that HPV infections can 'go away' without any treatment over the course of a few years.

Does that mean that HPV is not a virus that one will deal with for the rest of their life after contracting it? I'm a bit surprised... I thought it was a life virus if you got it. Good news if it's not and I misunderstood
You are probably thinking of genital herpes, which is a lifelong problem with or without outbreaks.

Every few years they learn a little more about HVP. According to the latest theories (and bearing in mind there are 100 different HVP virus types):

- An HPV infection is usually harmless and temporary: most people with HPV will never know they are infected because the virus usually goes away on its own.
- There are many types of this common virus, and only a few “high-risk” types can lead to cervical cancer. Most cell changes return to normal by themselves or simply die without progressing to cancerous lesions. It is very rare for an HPV infection to lead to cervical cancer.
- If high-risk HPV types don’t go away on their own, they may progress to abnormal precancer cells. (If these abnormal cells are not found and treated, they may become cancer over time).
- These high-risk HPV types are spread through sexual contact. It is difficult to determine whether a partner who has been sexually active in the past is currently infected. HPV infection can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. The surest way to eliminate risk for genital HPV infection is to refrain from any genital contact with another individual. (i.e. sounds like complete abstinence or only two virgins should have sex . . . yeah right! )
- There are also “low-risk” types of HPV that can cause genital warts but do not cause cancer.

http://www.arhp.org/healthcareprovid...ancer/faqs.cfm

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-24-2008), Motors Mommy (08-26-2008), weegot5kiz (08-23-2008)