View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Gromlily,

I had RSD before my TOS surgery, but it flared horribly afterwards. I really didn't understand much about RSD at the time, had been so "focused" on what to do about the TOS. Knowing what I do now, I still would have had surgery cause I needed it, but I would make sure things were explained more clearly to me about my RSD and that all possible precautions were taken to prevent or minimize a flare or spread.

I did have a block, an SGB I believe, less than 24 hours before surgery. That may be enough if you don't have RSD, but it wasn't in my case. I've since heard from many people with RSD who get continuous blocks before, during and after any surgery, through IV, to keep those nerves saturated and quiet for as long as possible. If I ever have to have the rib resection on the left, it will have to be done that way.

A PM/anesthesiologist is usually the best one to ask about blocks and what options you have for surgery and /or post-op, if any.

Oh, I did have a pump taking Lidocaine to the surgical site post-op, but stepped on the tubing and pulled it out the day after surgery - my nurse couldn't be bothered to untangle and wrap up all my cords and wires

Hope you get some good answers soon.

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote