View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 06:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default More Info about FSS & Disability

The Disability Secrets web site features just about every malady known to medicine. The point of the site is that SSA doesn't look at the diagnosis per se, but rather how you are "disabled" by the condition. I don't think that is actually true; partly true, but I do think your age, your education, and your work history has something to do with it. During the '70s and '80s, Disability was handed out carelessly, putting too many people on the "rolls" and things tightened up to the point of it being nearly impossible to get. That opened up an entirely new legal profession: the Disability attorney. I don't think anyone needs to spend the money on an attorney who is truly disabled. You just need to be able to fill out the forms (and sometimes you might need help with that) and be able to write a credible essay. If you have trouble writing, then paying for the help to put together your case is probably worth it because I believe what YOU write is just as important as what your doctors write. Your also really need a doctor that's on your side. My doctors wrote mammoth letters to support my year to year deterioration until I hit crash and burn at the end of 2000.

Mike's PT just about wore his shoulder to a nub. She did unltrasound treatments that seemed to help, but her manual massaging almost put him through the ceiling. He's now having trouble siting up for any period of time. Having been where he is, I think some of his problem is not eating properly, resulting in a drop in blood sugar, lying down too much, resulting in BP problems, and the two work together to make you bed ridden. I would have to sleep for 2 weeks, planning ahead, for a doctor appointment and I'd often think I'd not make it. I canceled many. 8 years later, I'm finally much better. I have bad days, but I'm no longer bed ridden. I'm also almost 58, haven't worked in 8 years, and I wouldn't consider even trying, not that I think I could find a job in this economic downturn. Why hire someone who hasn't worked in 8 years? But, I truly don't know that I could be "up" for an 8 hour day and do it 5 days in a row.

There's not much help on the particular web site I site above. The main point is that the degree of Disaibility and being able to document that Disability if what is important. I could document everything. I also developed Orthostatic Intolerance, one thing I did find on a web site that SSA does look for in CFS cases. It almost guarantees being found Disabled. But, I had everything else going against me, not to mention an obviously strong work history with every reason to want to work as NOT to work. Mike has that too. Before resigning in February, he had worked 12 years with perfect attendance, not even taking a vacation day. That should help him, too. He was hoping to find someone on here who had a) found an effective treatment for FSS, since I can't find anything encouraging on the web, and b) someone who had applied and gotten Disability for it. We're a real pair. Approaching retirement with both of us on Disability. We'll hit poverty level in no time. This is called a "low point".

I enjoyed reading all of your responses. Thank you for your input and I'll continue to check in. If I find something more useful that what I just posted, I'll put it up here and if anyone wants to ask me about my own Disability application process, feel free to do so.
Mikey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote