View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

I wonder why I'm feeling self-conscious about my first Wonder thread Is it too heavy for group participation outside of my Three Musketeers here?

I wonder if Doody knows it won't be long before GrandDoody is demanding only two wheels - and probably a SuperHero boys helmet.

I wonder if I can tell Moi I laughed my butt off at the visual of you three skipping along and singing.

I wonder if I can tell you about my father. He did not like hippies, and thought there was something wrong with a boy who wanted to wear long hair on his head and face. He was forced to adjust his behavior when my sister became a hippie and dated men with long hair and scraggly beards.

When I was dating my ex-husband back in the late 70s, I gathered the nerve to introduce him to my father for the first time. I was a little worried he might be lying to me about not being racist. So many of them say that, but it doesn't always play out well if it hits close to home.

My father knew ahead of time about his race, but I neglected to tell him my boyfriend had very long hair and full beard - he had a HUGE Afro that was perfectly round.

My ex pulls up to the house, and my father looks out the window. All my dad could focus on was his long hair, so he said "Ugh - he looks like a Black Panther" I told him "Relax Dad - check out his feet....he only has two of them." We laughed. They got along fine.

Back then I was a pretty young thing with long Farrah Fawcett styled blond hair. I'm sure you can imagine the looks we got whenever people would see us together. Once in awhile it would make us angry/uneasy/bold enough to do what you and your roommates did. We'd hold each other close and stroll along the sidewalk together - just two little lovebirds in love. We'd make bets with each other on who would smile and who would throw rocks at us.

You're right. There were a few people who smiled at us and it gave me hope for the future. Unfortunately, too many decades have passed for me to cling onto those glimmers of hope I felt back in the 70s. People seem more concerned with their labels than humanity.

I wonder why some people thought it would be FUN to organize and call themselves "Re-Create '68" in the hopes of disturbing the DNC. They were NOT HERE in 68. If they want some fun, I'd be more than happy to recreate the actual experience for them. If they think they are so tough, they have a personal invitation to my home. Look me up - I'm in the book. I'll take them on an adventure like no other.

I wonder if these same people are those who think it's fun to recreate the civil war. I wonder why they long for such warfare - or find death entertaining?

I wonder if I can apologize to the group here. I'm absolutely paranoid about August 28th. It was the day Emmett Till was murdered in 1955 - he's buried down the street from me. It was the day Martin Luther King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963. It was the day I was forced to sit by a window on the 18th floor and watch a huge F5 tornado approach our building in 1990. It was the day my father died in 1991.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (08-25-2008), Alffe (08-25-2008), Doody (08-25-2008), tamiloo (08-25-2008), Twinkletoes (08-25-2008), who moi (08-25-2008)