View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 11:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Hey gang -

I have been reading through some of the back threads and have a question about RLS and PN? Can RLS sometimes be a cause/contributor of PN? If so, does it need to be a severe case? I had a sleep study many years back (about 14) and was diagnosed with sleep apnea and RLS. I do agree that I have sleep apnea but if I have RLS it is a very minor case. I do not have the symptoms that you all are citing. Once in the past, while laying in bed with hubby watching, TV my leg did involuntarily react and hit his leg. That is the one and only indicator we have ever had of RLS.

However, since the PN started I am twitching like a son of a gun. My 3 yr old grandaughter thinks the twitching is wonderful. She thinks I do it on purpose and has the most wonderful laugh when it happens...

Just wondering..
There are two distinct disorders: RLS and PLMD (Periodic Limb Movement Disorder). They can be confused and while they use some of the same treatments for both they are still very distinct and different disorders...or so they say. To me they seem like the same thing. You may have PLMD rather than RLS.

ETA: Since I had a duh moment and didn't really answer your main question; According to the doctor, the expert on RLS and such, no, PN doesn't cause RLS. They don't know what causes it but they have ID'd some triggers. There doesn't seem to be a connection between RLS and PN. There are shared symptoms in all of these above mentioned disorders. It requires testing and a good doc to differentiate between what's what.