View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Other causes of MP, not a Dr's typical diagnosis of; MP is more common with diabetics

Good day,
I was diagnosed with Meralgia Paresthetica (MP) back in 2002.
At that time a had reached 22 years living with Type 1 diabetes.
Up until that time I was well controlled, never skipping an injection as so many diabetics tend to do. I was and am still today very healthy, no diabetic related problems. At that time I was very fit, but since the leg pain I've shyed away from sports due to worrying if the leg pain will worsen.
The problem I have still today is the diagnosis. Doctors are saying this is typical for diabetics to develop, but it also develops in normal people too.
I'm telling the doctors that I had lifted a wooden crate at work with a co-worker which weighed atleast 400 to 500 pounds. I squatted on the right leg and lifted the crate above my head and then rested it on my head and walked about 3 to 5 steps and had to drop it because it was so heavy.
I believe the injury happened to the nerve in the right leg when I squatted. The boss told us to lift it, so I thought it was liftable. After we couldn't the boss got the forklift to move it. I don't know why he didn't do that in the first place. Later that evening and the following day the pain developed.
They say diabetics with MP have diabetic neuropathy of the nerves. But a Neurologist told me I have no diabetic neuropathy and I'm in great shape. But also said it's common with diabetics. He is telling me this only from medical journals he's read which blame diabetes. There was no further investigation concerning my problem. I like to know why things happen. Medical experts are still learning new things everyday which sometime contradicts earlier known explanations.
I told him I believe it was caused by lifting the crate. He said it's not likely. And that was it. "It's not likely" does that mean lifting a crate can cause MP but with a low probability or does it mean if I pay him money he will tell me what he's really saying. It seems here in Canada most Doctors are only motivated by money or they don't give you the time of day.
I would like more data to determine if lifting a heavy crate compressed the nerve or my well controlled diabetes and fitness caused the MP.

Could somebody please give me your opinion(s) or a proffessional in the field who can shed some light on ALL possible causes of Meralgia Parestheica.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
amonos93 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote