View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Migraine Prevention-Treatment...

Thanks to ALL of you for your help. I feel so lost--this is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It hit me hard because I thought I was going to be alright...then about 1 1/2 months after injury things began to go downhill fast.

I think Mary Kay is right...b/c I almost always have low grade pain and then Migraines will ramp up all of a sudden. No rhyme or reason....although your typical stressors will make them worse. Activity will almost always trigger a migraine of various intensity. I guess my only saving grace is that usually the cycle is short--usually 1-2 hrs but Saturday I had one last 8 hrs--my longest BY FAR and they are getting worse.

So....more questions:

-- Do you think I screwed things up by going down to 25 mg Nortriptyline? I was feeling weird emotions and the drowsiness was affecting my work (even though I took them at night). Now, it seems the 25mg is not working as good as it was before...still better than nothing...but I'm bummed I'm not getting more relief. Do you think I just need to give the Norti more time? I was only on 25mg for 2 wks then 50mg for 2 wks more before I went back down.

-- I don't like the Tramadol....but it does work for pain relief. Sad, but sometimes the pain is SO debilitating (it has brought me to my knees writhing in pain)..that I'd do almost ANYTHING for it to stop. Even if it meant a headache down the road....just so it stops! What would you recommend as a pain reliver once I get a migraine? I've heard Frova, midrin, will naproxan+Imitrex do anything for me (given I haven't felt any relief with straight naproxan)?

-- What about Topamax?...I've heard that thrown around as something to try...

-- My Neurologist mentioned maybe trying a blood pressure med next (maybe in conjuntion w/Norti). An interesting side note...I've always had good(i.e. low blood pressure). No problems ever...usually in the 120/70 ballpark. Since my injury...I've had higher BP. A couple times it's been like 145/90....never had a problem before so I'm wondering what's going on. Is this an effect of my injury, or the meds I'm on? Anyways, that's why the Neuro wants to try BP next. But I haven't heard to many good reviews on the BP meds....much more people with success on the anti-seizure route...

-- As far as side effects--the mood swings with the Norti bothered me. I'm already got some mood issues because of the TBI so the Norti just added to it. I've also got some memory/concentration issues....also 30min amnesia after the blast I simply do not remember. That scares me.

Anyways...enough babbling. Thanks again for your help.

Nate
greenne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote