View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Frightening Progression with bulbar symptoms

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your response. I am aware of arachnoiditis. I will chenk the RSD/CRPS forum.

My injury was not a burn but the pain I feel is like a burning. My pain is of long duration 14 or so years now. Most probably due to spread of infection from an upper wisdom tooth into sinuses and perhaps brain.? (neurolgist says limited encephalopathy could be the cause of the myoclonus palatal) . I had excruciating pain, was on lots of antibiotics for a R sided sinus infection but infection cleared but pain still there....like it was in the bones. So I took myself to the dentist and he extracted the upper R wisdom tooth but no antibiotics given. He told me that the tooth was infected right up to the nerve root. When I arrived home I had a cold sensation and tingling of one half of my face upper lips and R sided throat and pain got worse and changed.
From there things went downhill.

I've had it on the right side of my face (trigeminal neuralgia now I've been told its trigeminal neuropathy). Attacks over many years include right sided facial cramping/burning and right sided neck&throat cramping and burning.

Entire R side of body is now at a different temperature to the left (always) even at rest. R hand and R foot and R face/cranium can have extreme Temperature changes. Burning/freezing/cramping plus definite areas of numbness

Areas of numbness along trigem nerve and at back of neck behind and below right ear. THese have been the areas of major cramping & burning during the years.

My picture is further complicated by palatal/pharyngeal/laryngeal myoclonus. Spinal cord can burn and makes it difficult to lay on my back.
Same with R side of body especially neck /throat/face areas touching pillow...they burn and spasm.

But my main concern is that my neurologist thinks I have small fiber neuropathy and he said something about demyelination. He also said trigeminal neuropathy. I asked about the throat (where the visible redness is on the right side (dental needle injection site) and where I get the burning and sharp electrical needling stabbing pain with spasms & myoclonus and he said that you can get neuropathic pain in the throat.

DO you know of anyone that has small fiber demyelinating neuropathy in the throat that spreads this way. I ask, because now, its forming as small blood vessels that coelesce on the left side accompanied by burning/needling/spasms/myoclonus.

I am quite concerned about this because I also have dysphagia (videofluoroscopy) . I have experienced hoarseness, dysphagia and breathing difficulty on R side (nasopharynx/palate cramp) and (Laryngo/pharyngeal cramp). It is quite frightening when it happened.

But now I know the left side is going also...I am assuming it is progressive and involves the vascular system and neuropathic pain.

THe only testing my neurologist has done was EMG but could not do para cervical area (which was the most impt) because it said on report patient was unable to relax. But this was incorrect since that side of my neck was so tight that there was already spasming activity there at rest. When I explained this to the neurologist he said they don't usually test that area anyway.

I suppose I would like to have someone to talk to about this so I can make plans for future (if you know what I mean).It is very frightening to actually see the scarring & neuropathy progressing everyday and worsening and very frustrating asking oneself: Is it treatable, is it an autoimmune neuropathy?
I'm beginning to think definitely autoimmune mechanisms are involved but don't know what to do to prove it/treat it.

Autonmic dysfunction definitely present , if not autonmic neuropathy.
Pain in chest where esophagus meets stomach (probAbly neuropathic also)

If you know of anyone like this please let me know. FOR at least a decade I have told my husband, "I wouldn't know whether I have a sore throat or not because it always "burns" to some extent. The worst of it, is when it burns electical with stabbing needles and spasms/myoclonus (Audible).
Anyhelp/ suggestions from anyone would be welcome.
burnmyo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote