View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayoKay View Post
spent the first 2 hours nursing two (count 'em Gazzy!) two beers...
Oh I've heard THAT one before. Mainly with, "But officer......"

Quote:
turns out he's a hairdresser, and when he heard my MS-story (numb, bitten by fire ants, couldn't braid hair due to swollen hands, so CHOPPED it all off raggedly) he volunteered to repair my botch-job.
That's lovely. I'm sure you weren't expecting someone else with MS on your paradise island nevertheless one who was a hairdresser! Glad you got a new "do!"

Quote:
our dinner table consisted of the local newspaper publisher, editor, and a couple of reporters
What DO you people eat on in the islands?????? Man, I'm afraid to find out what else is in your furniture stores there. Dare I even ask what your repast consisted of?

((must be why they have a large tourist business--gotta maintain the furniture supply))

Quote:
and since I'm basically YETI-incarnate, my friends volunteered to shave my legs, so I could appear in public on the beach, without terrifying the residents.

since I hadn't brought my swimsuit (not expecting to swim), one was loaned, and there you have it... my extreme beach makeover!

No fair! You didn't TELL us you were going to a spa.

LOL Congratulations! I'm glad you're safe for public viewing. All this and NO photos. Man..... are WE deprived or what?

Quote:
tarpon were gathered, as they know the filletting scraps are tossed at the end of the evening.

my hubby and friends were blase' about the whole deal, but not me!

I went out on the dock, and knelt there, handing tails and fins to these GIANT tarpon, who have become accustomed to being hand-fed...

their teeth are like sandpaper, (not like pirhannas or anything!), and it was fun to hold a piece out, and wait for a fish (nearly as big as ME!) to swim alongside, and snatch the delicacy out of my hand.

yes, I got splashed, and soaked, while my companions were busy discussing politics and conspiracy theories avidly, back at the candle-lit, linen-covered table perched over the water.

Way cool. I'd be with you out there feeding the tarpon. What a picture!

Quote:
at 4 the next morning, we arose, and walked to the beach - since the island's only a mile wide, you can go to the beach for sunrise, and the OTHER beach for sunset!

we watched the sun come up, and the colors change, from midnight blue, to aqua, to peach, to mauve, to pink-tinged orange... simply breathtaking.

since tourist season is over, we had a little beach house for only $30 bucks a night, fully furnished and equipped, even air-conditioned... surrounded by palm trees, mangroves, and flowering tropical bushes (bougainvillea, hibiscus, etc.)
(I'm done with the popcorn and onto the ice cream.....)

Sounds lovely--truly lovely. Makes me want to be there. I can see why you live around there.

Quote:
joy-of-joys, my friend owns a bookstore on the island, and I came home with several new treasures to read...

oh, and they were THRILLED by our gifts (dried fruits, homemade jams, fresh greens, and most especially, fresh organic eggs... things hard to come by, or hideously expensive to import.
Friends with a bookstore? Oh that would be heaven!

So waddya reading now?

Quote:
so, EVERYBODY was happy, except my hubby, who got some sort of nappy-rash (AMN, that's Brit-speak for diaper-area troubles) so, I've tended and ointmented him, and parked him under the fan (with orders to stay put for an hour), mostly so I could use his computer (ha ha ha!) as mine is still DOA, in pieces on the kitchen table.
Poor hubby..... but a great visual. My son used to sleep with his knees under him and his butt up in the air. Somehow my mind flashed to that and a full-grown, adult male doing that.

Hope the hubby's posterior end is nappy-rash free soon. I'm sure that's not comfortable!

Quote:
here's where I went, if you're not totally bored of the subject by now:

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/island.html

Oh no I'm not bored yet. Wow, that's beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing, Cayo! Seriously, that made my morning.

(obviously the police haven't found you yet--good job!)
AfterMyNap (08-26-2008), CayoKay (08-26-2008), SallyC (08-26-2008)