Thread: OT: Geek Tawk
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 02:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Antimatter! OMG LOL now we are cookin!!!

That is something most people are familiar with if they ever watched saturday morning cartoons. The only problem with the cartoons is it seems like it is easy to use, get, or destroy stuff with LOL.

Some things most people dont know about antimatter was discovered by CERN. Busy little company

I was gonna type up this big explanation, but discovered I was typin in circles just tryin to make my point hahahaha! So im gonna cut and paste some of what I was going to try and explain.

I hope this is not too technical, I tried to find the least technical of all the stuff, but this is basically what I wanted to try and explain.

Quote:
Antimatter production is currently very limited, but has been growing at a nearly geometric rate since the discovery of the first antiproton in 1955 by Segrč and Chamberlain.[citation needed] The current antimatter production rate is between 1 and 10 nanograms per year, and this is expected to increase to between 3 and 30 nanograms per year by 2015 or 2020 with new superconducting linear accelerator facilities at CERN and Fermilab. Some researchers claim that with current technology, it is possible to obtain antimatter for US$25 million per gram by optimizing the collision and collection parameters (given current electricity generation costs). Antimatter production costs, in mass production, are almost linearly tied in with electricity costs, so economical pure-antimatter thrust applications are unlikely to come online without the advent of such technologies as deuterium-tritium fusion power (assuming that such a power source actually would prove to be cheap). Many experts, however, dispute these claims as being far too optimistic by many orders of magnitude. They point out that in 2004; the annual production of antiprotons at CERN was several picograms at a cost of $20 million. This means to produce 1 gram of antimatter, CERN would need to spend 100 quadrillion dollars and run the antimatter factory for 100 billion years.
Just imagine if you had a full gram of this stuff....you would be the richest in the galaxy!! LOL

Gone Squatchin
allentgamer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (08-26-2008), who moi (08-26-2008)