View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Billye,

Would your pet sitter be able to come twice a day everyday starting now while you are still home?

I wonder if having the pet sitter start now, while you are still home, would help your dogs to get comfortable with him/her so that by the time you leave to go to Mayo the dogs are comfortable with the person, and comfortable with the schedule.

I don't know what day you leave for Mayo, but you said early December - which is about 4 weeks away.

If you start now, you could have the pet sitter come twice a day everyday for one week and during the first week the pet sitter could just come and sit on the couch for a little while. Let the dogs bark and whine and flip out for week 1... all dogs eventually stop barking and flipping out and get used to a new person and a new schedule.

For week 2 you could have the pet sitter come twice a day everyday and during this time you could assist the pet sitter to feed the dogs, take them outside, pet the dogs, and help them get more comfortable with the person and the schedule.

For week 3, again the pet sitter comes twice a day everyday, and during week 3 you don't help them with any feeding or walking or playing, but you do talk to the dogs and reassure them to help them be more relaxed, more comfortable.

For week 4, you could have the pet sitter come twice a day everyday, and during this week even though you are still home you act as if you are not there. You allow the pet sitter to use the key to let themselves into the house, you let the pet sitter do all the feeding, walking, petting, playing, attention, all by themselves. You don't help, you don't talk, you pretend that you are not there.

During weeks 3 and 4 another important part is that the dogs are only fed and walked while the pet sitter is there. You still give them attention and love during the rest of the day -- but no treats no food no going outside to go potty unless the pet sitter is there. During weeks 3 and 4 you help the dogs to get comfortable and accustomed to being fed and walked only while the pet sitter is there.

By doing this slow transition, hopefully by the time you leave the dogs are comfortable with the person and comfortable with the schedule -- which means that while you are gone you will be less worried about the dogs so that you can focus on yourself and your health.

The only drawback to a slow 4 week transition plan is that depending on who the pet sitter is, you may have to pay them during the next 4 weeks since they are coming daily... I don't know if that is something that you are able to do, but maybe the pet sitter would be willing to work out a payment plan?

I hope that helps, I hope that your trip to Mayo goes well.

Take care,
Liz
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote