View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodn'Plenty View Post
Lisa - I don't envy you - A TOS doc alone would tell you NOT to drive that many hours at one time . Mine tells me 15 minutes at a time and then take a break.Of course this is an impossible rule to follow to the T, but your schedule is at the absolute opposite end of the spectrum.
My body too would be rebelling big time.
Besides the need for some pain managemet adjustments,is there any way you could incorporate some lifestyle adjustments which would be extremely beneficial to your health?

Much peace

GnP
Thanks, GnP...I have printed the titles of the books, and will consider them. I'm sure you understand my reluctance, as the times I've done this it's not boded well with me...been nothing but "mumbo jumbo" so that fact has kinda steered me clear of it. I've done my own sort of relaxation to get myself to sleep at night...and perhaps that;s why this structured kind never worked...I always jut FELL ASLEEP! LOL! Or ticked off my grocery list, or hte errands I had to run, or whatever. I'm very scatterbrained as it is, and cannot focus very well, which has always been my problem. Heck, my boss told me yesterday I need to keep a pad of paper at my desk cuz my memory stinks lately. I can't remember anything and my mine wanders SO BAD that I forget something five minutes later. Could be the meds. I'm on so many, I'm sure at least ONE of them affects memory. I have TOS and RSD, two diseases that have to be controlled with medication. So my pill bottles could fill an entire medicine cabinet. But....I've also never been one to COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY give up on something just because it didn't work the first time.

I'm also not one to begrudge soeone something that doesn't work for THEM. So for all of you that meditation DOES work for, I am soooo very happy you hve found something that gives you peace and some relief from yor pain. And who knows...maybe some day I will find that it does work for me, too.

As for driving. I have a few tricks. To keep my arms from getting tired, I have my console that I rest my right arm on....my left, usually cannot rest on the door rest, so I have a heart shaped pillow (my "cough pillow" from the hospital) that I stick between me and the door. I put the top "indented" part of the heart in my ribs, and the bottom "pointed" part of the heart against the door...and my left arm rests on the pillow. Then, I have anothr small baby pillowin the car for my lap....so if my arms get tired, I can rest one at a time on my lap. I also do not grasp the steering wheel....My steering wheel ha the cross bars inside that are large enough for my hands to go THROUGH...so I drive with my wrists. I never realized what a dif. that made until I swappedcars with a friend the other day. Her husband work at the dealership I bought my car from and I needed ome work done, so we traded vehicles. She had a minivan, and the steering wheel didn't havr large enough hole for me to stick my hands thru, so i had to hold the wheel....and driving that long my hands hurt like HECK at the end of the day. I was so glad to ge my car back.

My doc, yesterday, gave me provigil to help keep me awake while driving...as that is one of the huge issues I was having.

I want to thank all of you for your help. You are fantastic people. YOu truly are. And you have such AWESOEM ideas....

Hugs
LisaM
LisaM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote