View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default rhizotomy aftereffects

Hello all

I had a lumbar rhizotomy almost a month ago. I had had the spinal injections in April and I tell you, they were fantastic. I went from a high level of pain to no pain. That lasted about a 1.5 months and it was starting to come back. So I was referred to a dr. for a rhizotomy. I was told I was the perfect candidate. Hey, sign me up. I read a lot ahead of time. Then I had the procedure. I was very nervous as well. It didn't seem too bad. They said lay low for a couple of days. A sheet of post op instructions said no lifting more than 10 lbs for a week (followed that). Also said no yard work, gardening or vacuuming for 2 weeks. Well, after a couple of days, I felt pretty good and potted a couple of plants. My back got sore so I backed off. Two days later, felt ok, so I pulled a few weeds. Then I backed off. The day before the 2 weeks, I washed one of our dogs. Boy, then the back got really sore and I really backed off from thing. I just had my follow up check up and was honest with the dr. of what I had been doing. He didn't seem too concerned but did say that sometimes it takes a month for things to settle down but we were almost there. He suggested some physical therapy which I've set up but not started yet. I told him I fully realized that I may have done this to myself, but again, he didn't seem too concerned. I must admit, I'm a little disappointed. I was so excited after the injections, that I was expecting the same from this. Don't get me wrong. The pain is not incapacitating, but it is uncomfortable and about the same as prior to the procedure. I'm really trying to be positive about this and hope that maybe I've just slowed the recovery down. But I am surprised that since the nerves have been cut, why do I feel anything? Has anyone else noticed this length of time for recovery? I guess I could always go back in and get the spinal injections again since the facet joints haven't changed, just the nerves.
laurena1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote