Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alena View Post
and when I had been checked for B12 deff. - the results came back ok;

(I would not have ever believed B12 defficiency could cause so many problems ..)
a.

There are a few of us who make a lot of noise about B12 deficiency because most people would never believe it could cause so many serious problems. When my doctor's office called to say my B12 was a little low and I should take high dose B12 (1000mcg daily), (after 3 years...8 doctors), I thought it was an insignificant finding, or worse yet, a cheap attempt at a placebo fix. My doctor never took the time to explain it was the cause of all of my symptoms!! That is when someone forwarded me to rose . So, I actually had a doctor who flagged it (most will miss it if it falls within normal range)~ and I almost still missed the boat.

Do you know the actual results of your B12 testing? People can begin having symptoms with normal levels. I had been having symptoms for 3-5 years before my low normal level 294 (150-1100) was found. I've always wondered what my level was when I started having symptoms.

So... there are definitely other things to consider, but do not overlook this possibility..even if your doctor says your B12 was OK. Normal isn't always good enough...so be sure to check that actual test results. Vision problems including optic neuropathy, dimming, blurriness, nystagmus, can come with B12 deficiency.

One more link... on B12 deficiency and neurologic symptoms:
http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic439.htm

Your symptoms could also be consistent with Celiac Disease, too, which can present with neurological symptoms, with or without GI symptoms. Lots more about that in The Gluten File linked below my name. If you have family history of autoimmune disease or GI symptoms..all the more reason to consider.

Here are some other things "they say" should be considered when dealing with MS-like symptoms.
Quote:

Unfortunately the rate of misdiagnosis remains around 5%-10%, indicating that 1 in 20 patients thought to have MS has, instead, a condition resembling MS. Conditions often confused with MS may be inflammatory (systemic lupus erythematosus, Sjogren's syndrome, vasculitis, sarcoidosis, Behcet's disease), infectious (Lyme disease, syphilis, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, HTLV-1 infection, herpes zoster), genetic (lysosomal disorders, adrenoleukodystrophy, mitochondrial disorders, CADASIL), metabolic (vitamin B12 deficiency), neoplastic (CNS lymphoma) and spinal (degenerative and vascular malformations) diseases.
The differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: classification and clinical features of relapsing and progressive neurological syndromes. PMID: 11794488
Hope you find some answers~

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 11-07-2006 at 10:49 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote