View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Doctor frustration and so exhausted after a "relaxing" vacation

Hi,
I just have to complain today - I am so upset.

I am not yet dx, been in limbo for about 12 years now. I do have chronic cluster migraines, Cervical Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's Disease and my Neurologist believes that I have MS but needs one more piece of the puzzle to make a 100% dx.

Having said all that - I do OK most of the time - work full time in an office and really have to pace myself. I never alter my sleep schedule, very careful with stress. I have to be extremely regimented and pay attention to my body at all times - you all know the drill......

I have never, ever had an issue with a doctor believing me or questioning my symptoms or treating me as if I am a "hypochondriac" - UNTIL TODAY !!!

I went to my Primary (whom I almost never see) because my BP is too high, has been for too long - and I finally needed to address this issue. Also, I am 50, have a familial history of Colon cancer and my father's doctor told him 10 years ago that I should begin having colonoscopies due to the genetic component - I never did. I am having a few "issues" and decided that I need to do that ASAP, and this was another reason to talk with the Primary.

I decided that I would fill him in on my Hashimotos dx since he was unaware - and also question him about my leg problems and some other things while there. I had a list of 6 things - frankly, I thought as my primary - he should know these things and put it in my record.

In any case - he made me feel like such a hypochondriac. He is a normally a kind and gentle man - however, when I discussed these issues - it was his body language and what he didn't say - and his RUSHED manner. He walked out right in the middle of something I was saying - telling me he was going to get the prescription (for my BP) and would be right back. He came back fairly quickly and seemed initially happy as if - I had forgotten what I was talking about. He then seemed to pick up on the fact - that I purposefully had nothing more to say to HIM. I was nice, just thanked him and left but I felt sooooooo humiliated !!! He commented as I left that "Well, I now have all your diagnosis" as if I had told him 30 things. I commented - the only thing I have is Hashimotos !!!" I said this because I did NOT mention Stenosis, Fibro, migraines. The only additional condition I mentioned was that my Neuro thinks I have MS.

When I got to the car - I THREW the prescription and the labs that I had taken to show him - into the floor of the back seat and left.

My feeling is - how do we explain to a doctor about what we are going through - without putting them off ???? It may have been just HIM, but it may have been how "I" presented it ????

Oh - I just wanted to scream and I will never go back to him now. NEVER.
In fact, I so completely understand my Mother - my Mother REFUSES to see a doctor except to get her Thyroid medication - or if she is extremely ill and needs antibiotics - PERIOD.

The only reason I want to continue following my health is because I fear I will reach a point that I cannot work and I need it documented and I need somebody to go to bat for me if I have to file for unemployment. There are times I can barely function now and I would not be able to hold down a job if I didn't have such a flexible work situation.

I was in Florida all last week - and it was just a relaxing beach vacation - but just the change - the drive home - (back to TN) has thrown me for a complete loop. Thus - I think this is part of the reason that I am feeling additional frustration.

I will likely go to bed by 7:00 to 7:30 pm tonight (as I have every night this week), just trying to recover and keep going.

Just venting I suppose - I am just frustrated beyond belief that a doctor can and will make such "assumptions" about patients.

OK - I think I am being silly that I let this effect me so much - I just don't like being made to feel like that. I have read so many stories - seems almost constant that there is a similar story to this posted by someone.

Guess it was just my turn to be made to feel "small" by a physician.

If you made it this far - thank you so very, very much for taking the time to read about my frustrations....

Snoods...

"Probable MS" Symptoms since winter 1996/97
Cervical Spinal Stenosis
Hashimoto's Disease
Fibromyalgia

Some days you're the windshield.... some days you're the bug.
snoodles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (08-27-2008), Dejibo (08-28-2008), SallyC (08-28-2008)