View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just got out of the Mayo hospital....

It had gotten to the point my meds were causing more side effects then I wanted to deal with. (3000mg daily of Gabapentin, 400mg daily of Tegretol.)My wife was driving me to work. My employer realized my productivity was down, but was willing to put up with it for now until I got something figured out. I couldn't speak long sentences without slurring my speech. Hand dexterity was way off, as was my memory and thought processes.

All this and I was still having breakthrough pain.

I had surgery at Mayo Minnesota on 8/21. They performed a right retromastoid suboccipital craniectomy and then a microvascular decompression of the trigeminal nerve root. My neurosurgeon, Dr. Piepgras, was 80% certain a loop of artery was causing the problem, and that this procedure was the resolution.

Dr. Peipgras found where the artery was laying across the nerve, with 2 or 3millimeters of contact. I didn't think that sounded like much, but I had it explained to me since that is a significant amount. They have been separated, with a cushion placed between.

I'm reducing the amount of Tegretol I'm taking. Currently it's been cut in half to 200mg daily.

The surgery was Thursday, and I came home Sunday. I'm still trying to get a consistent daily routine established regarding sleep patterns, etc.

I have been told that in 2 or 3 weeks, I'll begin to notice relief from the TN pain. I also have some headache pain I'm dealing with, but Tylenol seems to be able to control that.

I'm tired right now. (It's taken me a half hour to type this.) If people are interested, I'll keep updating this thread and let you know how it goes.
Rum River is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote