View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Lindkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindkaye View Post
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'm not sure what is going on .... just know I have never felt like this ever before! I had my total knee replacement in Dec 07 and was diagnosed with RSD in early March 08 after I made no progress with my knee. The aching in my feet,hands and lower back has come on just the last 1-2 months. Its a different feeling than the RSD in my knee - which burns and has stabbing pains, skin is sore to touch like a sunburn. My hands and feet feel like I cant bend them, and ache severely, almost like when you have a severe flu. I like my pain doc - but he is really hard to get into to see. Took them 1-1/2 weeks just to call me back - and is a 3 month wait to see him = even if you are an established patient! I am trying to get in to see another pain med doc to get another opinion and discuss these new problems. I don't feel like I should have to wait months to discuss new symptoms with my dr. I understand they are busy, but should have time for existing patients. I am having a really hard time accepting the RSD and getting more depressed each day - which I believe anyone would having this. I haven't tried any antidepressents yet, I feel "fuzzy" enough with the pain meds and worry how the antidepressents would make me feel. I get mainly upset thinking of how this is effecting my family and also financially as I am applying for SS disability. Sorry to ramble on - thanks again for everyones comments, its nice to have someone understand what I'm going thru and give me ideas
Hi Lindkaye, I'm sorry you going thru this nightmare. Dealing with pain 24/7 is so difficult. Talking here really helps to understand what is happening to us. Of course, everyone is different is some ways and certainly meds work differently for different people. But I know what you mean about depression, depression really is a central part of RSD. It's because RSD affects the Limbic part of your brain that controls emotions, and judgment. What's why the depression, not to mention the huge changes in our lives, like loss. It's like the grieving process because there is so much loss. What we used to do, we can't now.Our family still loves us, but it's difficult for them to understand the changes we go thru. Most of us have a difficult time with social settings and shy away because of our limited energy level and being in pain doesn't lend itself to wanting to be around people. I'm on two different anti-depressants, both double dosed. Most of us take them not just to help with the depression, but the components of the drug help with nerve pain. After seeing many Drs. and getting correct diagnosis, I've ending up with a wonderful phychiatrist, that also is a neurologist and a degree in pharmacology. I've seen him for four years once a month, and now I see him everyother month. The Dr. that correctly diagnosed me was a hand orthopedic surgeon. It took him 30 seconds and confirmed at the hospital in the neuclear med. dept. Even though my surgery was breast surgery, the next day my entire arm swelled and the shoulder started too get stiff and froze up so bad, had maybe 100 physical therapy session to get range of motion back to almost normal. Then moved to the other shoulder and more therapy. Then some time passed and I felt a pull in my left hand while water skiing. It froze up like a board, and back to therapy. I think I mentioned to you before, it is only partially useful. It's so important to try and keep moving, even sqeezing a soft rubber ball. or swimming and sqeezing your toes so they won't curl up, then walking is a problem. It sounds like you need a orthopedic Dr. and/or neurologist is see what is going on. So many of us have fibromyalgia too. It does feel like the flu and muscle aching. I also have the burning, the stabbing and electric shocks, muscle spasms, stopped when I was on neurotin. 3200 mg dailey. I've switched to Lyrica, I feel it works better on the nerve pain. Others feel differently. I know one thing, Both drugs cause weight gain. I hate that and am working so hard to get it off. One things that helps with the sadness, grief, loss, is journaling. Get a tabled and write in it about your true feelings and sadness, let your feelings out. I went thru two years of therapy when my parents died and writing really helped me, of course prayer. I hope your application for SSI goes well. I talked to my Dr last week about SSI and he said he would back me. So I'm going to apply too. I can no longer work. I'm going to use an attorney. My daughter is a court reporter and is going to give me the name of a good one, specializing in SSI. I hope you get in to see your Dr. soon. Loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote