Thread: Implants
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Shelley,

In most cases, it is definitely better to wait 6 months post healing of the dental implant surgery before placing the crowns. The last thing you want to do is chew on implant crowns before the actual implant has adequate time to integrate with the bone. Your dentist may be rushing it a bit because he knows it will be diffcult for you to eat without those teeth up there. However, better to play it safe rather than be sorry you didn't.................

Fungal infection of the oral tissue is quite common. Especially in people who have any autoimmune condition, diabetes, digestive disorders or other chronic health conditions that affect the immune system. It is also commonly seen in people who wear any type of dental appliance that covers the oral tissue for any length of time....... like a mouth guard, night guard, partial or complete denture or ortho retainers. Oral fungal infections are hard to get rid of and sometimes require medication. However, a person can keep reinfecting themselves if they don't figure out what the culprit is and change it. It would be best to let your dentist have a look and diganose it for you. There are other oral conditions that look similar and should not be ignored.

If you want to clean your appliance thoroughly, you can use a diluted bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution along with manually brushing it with a toothbrush. Efferdent and those similar to it are meant to clean the appliance but they are meant to be thoroughly rinsed off before wearing the thing. Listerine and those mouthwashes similar to it may kill some of the germs, but they are not healthy for the gum tissue. The ingredients in those mouthwashes are very harsh and irritating to the delicate gum tissue. The alcohol content in them acutally causes a reduction in saliva flow which predisposes the user to tooth decay. SO...... they are actually more of a risk than anything else.

The healthy mouth has over 400 different strains of bacteria, both good and bad. It is not meant to be a sterile place and there is no way to make it that way. When we attemtpt to "kill the germs" via harsh mouthwashes or toothpastes, all we are doing is setting up an environment for new strains of bacteria to develop to replace those that are being repeatedly killed off. Proper brushing and flossing with non harsh/toxic medicaments along with a balanced diet and plenty of drinking water is all that is needed to maintain a healthy bacterial balance in our mouths.

Ok Shelley...... keep us in the loop!!

Bryanna

QUOTE=shelley;352751]LOL Byranna....thats ok. Actually ROD is Coach Rodriguez, the new coach of the Michigan Woverines Football team. We are huge fans.

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes there is a tooth on the lower right so we are gonna do implants in #2, #3 and #4 on teh upper right. Thanks for the timeline that helps. NOt sure what my dentist was thinking saying he can put crowns on after two months. The timeline you mentioned is better for me financially to be able to pay the implant dentist and the cosmetic dentist.

Ah and good to know that the temporary goes away. I think it is nearing its life span so its good I am getting this done soon. Sometimes that #2 tooth aches a little even though it had a root canal and I wonder if that temp actualy covers everything well enough.

I'll be sure to ask about a temp nesbitt until I could afford to do the lower left next year.

Fungal infection What do you do to get rid of that?

My dentists instructions were to use efferdent and I do that the efferdent with listerine. I can absolutely brush it after each soak. I have not been doing that because the instructions did not call for it. The instrcutions did say to soak in vinegar if there is a build up. And those two black marks make me wonder if there is a fungus, although maybe its a stain because I tried to brush it off and it does not go away.

I'll let you know what the plan me and the implant guy craft next week.

Thanks
Shelley[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote