Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
Hi All,

Tomorrow I'm renting a sod cutter and DH and I are going to widen my garden patches around the house and yard.

I have some plants that need to be moved to sunnier areas. Would I do best to leave them until next spring or do it now?
Transplanting now is a good idea. Plants will have the winter to recover. Add some fertilizer/root stimulator and be sure to cut them back. Also make sure they have plenty of water.

Quote:
Also, if I plant perennials, will they survive with a fall planting? Does that give them enough time to develop a good root system where they sit? Would they do this best if I cut off any flowers? Or can they root and flower at the same time?

The plants that need moving are a lilac bush, daylillies and some other perennials.
Yes, I am still planting this time of year. It's cool and plants do quite well this time of year. Water them in well, and add some fertilizer/root stimulator.

Quote:
Also, I want to air root my serviceberry tree so I can plant a new one in the back yard. Does that work? And if so, does it take a long time? Would that do better in the spring?
Air rooting/layering is a relatively easy process but doesn't always work. Serviceberry's transplant quite well. I would cut it back and transplant it. Is it a big "tree" or the small serviceberry shrub? There are many varieties of serviceberrys. Here's a link to explain how to air layer.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e.../airlayer.html

Quote:
I'm so excited about all this, I've wanted to do this for over ten years!

Oh, we're also removing a ten foot strip of sod so that I can plant a row of asparagus in the early spring! DH will dig the trench next March, but at least we'll have the sod taken out!
Make sure you get good clean sand for the asparagus.

Have fun! Sounds like you've got quite a weekend project ahead of you! Can't wait for the pictures!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (08-29-2008), Girlie Girl (09-03-2008), SandyC (09-01-2008)