Old 08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default OMG Category 5

Dear Bizi,

The storm is strong and big.
It's strength will change down and up as it approaches Louisiana, but it will still be strong -- at least a cat 3 I am reading.
Take your cats and and go.

My feeling about hurricanes is that the aftermath can be the worst part so it
is best to plan to be somewhere else during the aftermath.
Return home after you know that the electricity, sewage, water, roads, stop lights, and so on are working. Other people are tense and frightened after the storm and it best not to have to deal with them.

Be OK.
Bring the almonds

Mari

I'm aware that you live a few good hours from New Orleans.
For some reason I am on the emailing list of a New Orleans television station. This is what I came into my email box almost two hours ago.

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stor....29eacf8f.html
Quote:
Dawn Brown / Eyewitness News
GUSTAV LOCAL IMPACTS
Hurricane Gustav is packing winds of a 145 miles per hour as it bears down on the western tip of Cuba and is forecast to strengthen into possibly a category 5 storm in the Gulf of Mexico.

This storm will most likely be a major hurricane (higher than a category 3) as it makes landfall just west of Terrebonne parish with possible storm surges in Terrebonne parish of up to 18 feet or more.

However, Lafourche, Jefferson, Plaquemines and St. Tammany parishes could also experience coastal storm surge. And, the westbank is at risk of inland flooding due to storm surge up Barataria Bay if the storm stays on the current track. Rainfall rates could range from 10-15" inches on the northshore.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (08-30-2008), bizi (08-30-2008)