View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I agree that we should never assume ANY symptom to necessarily be related to the MS, and in this case the potential treatment would likely be the same no matter what the cause anyway (Topamax for severe migraines).

Remember the story about my daughter and caffeine causing migraines . . .? She told me yesterday that she tried another coffee a few days ago, and had the same results. Sometimes we do need to use trial and error to see if it is something in our diet causing this too.

Having said that, migraines are recognized as rare symptom of MS. I think the stat is something like 15% -58% of PwMS experience migraines, which is much higher then the general population.

As I said earlier, luckily I don't normally feel the extreme pain that most people talk about with my migraines, so I just have to shut myself in a dark room to get rid of the other symptoms.

I have a very high tolerance to "normal" pain though, but nothing helps the neurological pain I've experienced. People with spinal cord trauma/injury, which is basically what we have when we have activity in our spinal cord, can experience central pain. This can manifest itself in many ways, and for me, I get those "spinal headaches" occasionally. Fortunately I've only had them twice, and they lasted for 3 - 4 weeks each, but it is obvious that this is related to some sort of inflammation going on.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-31-2008)