View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Cheryl,

Well, it has been in the upper 80's and lower 90's this weekend, but we got a LOT of work done.

DH removed approximately 1,000 -1,200 square feet of sod with the sod cutter. It took about six hours though, because he'd cut, and then stop to roll it up. It was too heavy for me to roll. Since it was a holiday weekend, I didn't have the heart to ask anybody to help since I knew it would be an all day job.

As soon as we started to set it out front, a neighbor asked if he could have it. I was worried that we'd have to get rid of it somehow. DH has a small SUV, so it's hard for us to haul too much.

I did the trim spots at the back of the rows with a pointed shovel (most of them anyway). Then I picked up all the pieces and put them with the sod. Our neighbor wanted it all!

Finally we had it all removed, so yesterday DH went to get loads of cypress mulch. He got 2 cubic foot bags, total of 57. I wanted a thick layer to cover the dirt. We got about 8-10 bags of top soil too, for some low spots next to the house.

I had to raise up a few hostas in those spots. I moved some hydrangeas and daylillies too. And laid all the mulch. I tried to work in the shade as the sun would move. The first day I had to keep coming in to rest and cool off, but yesterday, I worked straight through with only one break.

I have 12 more bags of mulch to spread, and then I might go look at perennials if I have time later. I won't need too much though, because I have a lot of stuff that I can divide in the spring and relocate.

I might get some bulbs from Breck's though. After laying the last of the mulch I'll take some pics to post.

It isn't going to look fancy, but it will give me lots of room to garden.

For the asparagus spot, I spread a layer of peat moss and mushroom compost and covered it with mulch. In March I'll rake off the mulch so DH can dig the trench and we'll mix in some clean sand as you suggested.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (09-01-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (09-01-2008)