View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Well

It doesn't make sense to me he would lose his SE because of going to an Alternative school. That's a bunch of Garbage. Both schools should be able to work to help him. Even full time he would have a Full IEP. You may want to check state laws and child rights on that one cuz I think the may be full of it. I know every state is different but not that much. We're in the Chicago area...trust me the system isn't the best but it's ok. They are overwhelmed and do not offer as much as Wisconsin schools as far as the cirriculum goes (unless you live in a right area). But they are trying. The alt school Megs goes to starts K thru 12!! It's unreal and small. Isn't the goal to have the kids mainstreamed and doing well in school? So then how can they just throw him in the one school without benefit
of an IEP/SE and forget about it. There may also be other schools that are out of district that he is allowed to go to...its hard to do that but if its a less violent school it may be better. Geeze my other daughter was never dismissed from her IEP so she could get the help she needs for college this fall. So if a college accepts The LD student with an IEP how can an alt school be different. I think they may be blowing smoke up you know where. I think I can leave my email now so please feel free to email me with any questions. I'll try to do a little research myself on this one. I know I have a lot more to learn anyway and will most likley find out something that could help us both. Hang in their...Lori T. tassone48@comcast.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
Wow it sounds as though your school district is awesome. They tried to get me to send him to alternative but then told me that if he goes there he will lose all of his special education status but I can see how if it is only part time it wouldn't affect it.

He did a stint in alternative ed back in 2005 as an expulsion for taking a knife to school and threatening a child. This was before his diagnosis, we all got help immediately and both he and I got a diagnosis of Bipolar, his one, mine 2. We are also looking now at the possibility of Anxiety Disorder which would explain his problem taking tests and his beginnings of an ulcer.

He wants to get an education and we are doing what we can to keep him in school, also we want to keep him from becoming socially stunted so keeping him in the school system is good for that and getting use to the fact that the world is not all running in fields of daisies lol.