View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Issues with employment

Grr! Not a nice way to begin a post, I know, but I'm frustrated (which is bit better than my mental state yesterday when I was MAD)!! So I'm a primary school teacher and I wasn't able to get a fulltime job this year, I'm working Monday to Wednesday which is great and I was planning on doing supply work on the Thursday and the Friday. ANyways, when I called to organise that I was instructed to call a phone number for a health check in which they ask you all sorts of crazy questions (if I WAS a primary school teacher with a drug addiction problem am I REALLY going to admit it to a stranger over the phone?). SO, long story, ummmm, long.... I was refered to a further nurse after I discussed my myaesthenia. This nurse passed my health check - BUT ONLY on the condition that I was doing supply work and she told me that IF I was able to find a full time post I would be refused work until I was able to take a day off and go meet with somone to assess my ability to work! Now, I'm not TRYING to be contrite, but LAST YEAR I went along for one of these assessments and the occupational therapist I saw said I was OBVIOUSLY fit for work. Surely they could use the information from last year, as well as my assurances that I fine to see I'm qualified.

I know they are just trying to cover their backs etc etc and they say that it is to see if they can help me and put anything in place to make my life easier, but the constant jumping through hoops is driving me CRAZY!!! I feel like a second class citizen. I almost wish I had never admitted I had MG - really who would have been the wiser!?! I KNOW they can't actually discriminate against me, but I do feel a bit vicitmised - intentionally or not!

Anyways, I'm sorry guys, I REALLY needed to vent! Has anyone else come up against stuff like this? My school itself has been so understanding about everything and just laugh because they know I'm healthy right now.

Thanks for giving me a place to rant a bit! Hugs to everyone! I've been reading your posts daily and I think of everyone all the time. All the best!
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote