View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default meow meow...

It is interesting how some cats can train US so well!

My son just adopted 2 cats. They were very quiet souls...one was an adult, and one a kitten.

Within 6 months BOTH have become talkers (meowers). And I don't think it is only because of his talking to them. I talk to my cats all the time, and they are NOT meowers.

It must have something to do with "reinforcement" behaviors.

Let me give this example. We have a very quiet cat Tippy, who will not
meow for anything (except for me to turn on the bathroom faucet for her).
I tried for 3 years to get her to meow at the front door of our cabin up North.
She won't do it! But I did succeed in somehow training her to turn around once before coming in! This I will never understand. (And I can still not stand
her "picking--plucking" the screens..she does this to get my attention-I'd much rather prefer the meow.)
She also scratches the windows...a very odd thing.

I read an interesting book long ago.. The Silent Miaow... where the author stated that cats communicate with kittens and each other subsonically..It takes them time to understand we cannot hear them that way.

And I personally think some Siamese blood leads to more meows..Some .Siamese will meow for ANY REASON!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote