View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 07:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default informing your potential employer

Dear Evonne,
Your posts have really touched a nerve for me because two and a half years ago when I was hired at my health care position I chose not to tell them I had been diagnosed with PD a year before. I was afraid that I would be discriminated against. Having worked a long time in the health care field (for 26 years) I thought having a disability that was seen as very debilitating would be detrimental to my employment. To make it even worse I was asked to disclose if I had one of about 3 rare diseases, and yes, Parkinson's disease. I did NOT want to lie, But I did. The form asked me to sign saying I didn't have the illness, and also if I needed any help for a disability, AND if I didn't tell the truth I'd be in big trouble, Like fired I think. I did not get their free health insurance. I plan to never use the disabilty insurance that was included with my employment. Today, it gets harder and harder to hide this illness, but in looking back, I do think I made the right decision for me, but some days it is so HARD to keep on keeping on. I cannot look ill, I have to stay upbeat, be very competent, Do my job really well so nobody thinks I'm ill. You have avoided those consequences of not disclosing and I applaud your honesty! All the best Evonne, in your job quest! Way to go! FG
Floridagal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote