View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
Man......they are working at a snail's pace on this disease.
amen, Sally!

I participated in one of the first MS genetic studies, in the San Francisco Bay Area, geez, I think it was WAY back in 1992 or 1993...

my mother, my father, and four of my siblings, plus me, all did blood draws, and sent the vials in special boxes, via express mail.

I never heard what came of that study...

but yeah, even back then, they were pretty darn sure there was a genetic component to the disease, along with exposure to a triggering virus, living in certain lattitudes, and high sanitation standards.

they were particularly interested in our family, as my mother's aunt had MS (she passed away in the early 60s) and provided all the materials, postage, boxes, vials, and instructions.

my particular concern with MS and its genetic origins are due to the fact that my ex-husband's brother was dx'd with PPMS, 14 years ago, and is doing poorly.

this means that my son Benjamin has the "designer genes" on BOTH sides of his family.

I was told that the MS-carrying genes come from the mother's side, but still, it worries me, because it could mean the gene is reinforced in my son (he's now 24)

Jules A (09-03-2008), SallyC (09-02-2008), Twinkletoes (09-02-2008)